Below are assorted projects I’m currently working on.
9/24 – Greetings. I’ve been very busy with pyrography related stuff. I have another youtube tutorial coming out this Tuesday (Sept 29) for the white crowned sparrow. I already published the written version of the tutorial, so I don’t have to worry about that. I’ve been working on some new projects that are primarily for demonstration purposes. There are some questions that come up a lot and it would be nice to have a video I can direct the person to for answers.
Two of the frequent questions I get are how to deal with white fur and curly fur or hair. I’m working on a project that combines both, and I created a segment below about it.
I’ve also been working on a number of Informational Friday videos. I kind of like these type of videos because they are short and I don’t write a corresponding blog, so they are a lot less work for me. I’ve been working on some more background videos similar to the bubble background I did recently. I’m also working on different texture things. An example of that would be a dog nose. I’ve put a segment below about the dog nose I recently did.
FYI – I’m not online everyday. All of my blogs, youtube videos, and youtube community posts are set up on a scheduler, so they go public automatically. This frees me up, and I don’t have to be online daily. It’s the days I stay off of the internet that I get the most done, and I try to have several of them a week. If you leave comment, have a question, etc., just be patient as I will get to it next time I’m online.
Dog with Curly White Fur – 9/24
This dog project is being created solely for the purpose of demonstrating how to handle white fur and fur that is curly. If you are not subscribed to my youtube community post I highly recommend you do so. I try to post regularly with tidbits of information. I have some upcoming posts that discuss the photo for this dog, tracing from the photo, and how I would approach burning in the fur. Each item is a separate post.
Since I’m talking about this dog, I got the image from Pixabay. Here’s a link to the image: https://pixabay.com/photos/dog-bichon-frise-bichon-4679006/
Dog Nose – 9/24
Here’s the image of the dog nose that I did. This will be a short informational Friday video tutorial. Can’t promise when it will be available as I’m working on a tutorial right now that will have both written and video versions. Plus it’s a full project, so that takes a lot of time for me to create.
Bighorn Sheep – 9/24
Jaguar experiment – 9/18
I mentioned before that my Jaguar project will be an experiment to try with you, the reader. My plan is to break the artwork up into stages: 1, 2, and maybe 3. Each stage gets a bit more complex and realistic looking.
Stage 1 would be creating the artwork at a beginner level producing the basics of the jaguar.
Stage 2, shown here, would take the beginner level art and start re-burning to give it a more 3D appearance. I’m undecided if this is a good spot to stop with stage 2. Before I can decide I have to figure out if there should be a stage 3.
Ford Buick – 9/18
I dug out the Ford Buick and did a little work on it. I’m burning on paper and that takes longer than wood does. At least for me. It requires a lot more re-burning to build up the color otherwise it gets blotchy. This might be due to poor technique on my part. Not sure as I feel I’m on my learning curve with paper.
Tejaa’s Mandala Christmas – 9/13
This project is official done. I lightened up the Christmas tree and darkened up the area around the oval frame. This helped keep the focus on the frame contents and the tree. Now the project is sitting in Todd’s shop to get coated with many layers of lacquer wood finish. Once that cured I’ll be sending it off to Tejaa.
Soaring Eagle – 8/26
I got some more feathers blocked in on the Soaring Eagle. Right now I’m just block in and then I’ll re-burn to get things to their final value. Plus I’m debating just how dark I want to burn the eagle. I plan to make him or her a bit paler than the reference photo.
The wood I’m burning on is poplar and you can see the dark streaks that run through it. I will have to use colored pencil or pencil pastels to cover up the streak on the head.
I’ve got the reference photo taped to the upper right corner of the board. That keeps it rather handy.
Koala – 8/26
The different tree limbs have been burned in. Now I need to darken up the bubble background some more as this will help keep focus on the Koala. Yes, the Koala still needs a LOT of work!
Mourning Dove – 8/26
I started the Mourning Dove and it will be part of my backyard bird series. This will be the 8th installment in that series. I generally have 4-6 doves in my yard that hang out most of the day. There are times in the year where the number of doves increases to 20 or so.
Finish Panel – 8/17
I often think that comparing the yearly photos isn’t a good idea because the light is not always the same. The light can really alter how an image looks. So I will tell you what I’m seeing from the board. The board was originally created in February of 2018, so it’s over 2 years old now.
The polyurethane (5) and Truoil (7) have yellowed a lot, but they imparted a yellow hue immediately. The Mod Podge (6) and shellac (4) are close to the same tan hue. The polycrylic (3) is a bit paler in color than the lacquer (2).
The color samples all look pretty good except the yellow which is getting tough to see on the polyurethane and the Truoil test patches.
Iguana – 5/11
Today I worked a little on the iguana. I haven’t worked on this project for several months. Normally I have one or two large projects going along with a number of smaller projects. For some reason I have a lot of large projects going right now, so even if I spend a couple of hours on one of them it doesn’t show much.
I’ll try to provide another update in a few days.